Monday 26 November 2012

Hadhrat Hanzlah's (Radhiyallaho anho) Fear of Nifaq:

Hadhrat Hanzlah (Radhiyallaho anho) says:
"We were once with the Prophet (Sallallaho alaihe wasallam) when he delivered a sermon. Our hearts became tender, our eyes were flowing with tears, and we realised where we stood. I left the Prophet and returned home. I sat with my wife and children and cracked jokes with my wife, and I felt that the effect of the Prophet's sermon had completely vanished from my heart.
Suddenly, it occurred to me that I was not what I had been, and I said to myself; '0, Hanzalah! You are a Munafiq'. I was stricken with grief and I left my house repeating these words in sorrow; 'Hanziah has turned Munafiq.
I saw Abu Bakr (Radhiyallaho anho) coming towards me and I said to him; 'Hanzalah has turned Munafiq.' He said; 'Subhanallah' What are you saying? Hanzalah can never be a Munafiq.
I explained to him: 'When we are with the Prophet (Sallallaho alaihe wasallam) and listen to his discourses about Paradise and Hell, we feel as if both are present before our very eyes but when we return home and are absorbed in our domestic and family affairs, we forget all about the Hereafter. Abu Bakr (Radhiyallaho anho) said: 'My case is exactly the same.
We both went to the Prophet (Sallallaho alaihe wasallam) and I said; 'I have turned Munafiq, 0 Prophet of Allah!' He inquired about the matter, and I repeated what I had said to Abu Bakr (Radhiyallaho anho). Thereupon the Prophet (Sallallaho alaihe wasallam) remarked: 'By Him Who controls my life, if you could keep up for all times the fervor aroused in you when you are with me, angels would greet you in your walks and in your beds. But, 0, Hanziah! This is rare! This is rare!"
We have to attend to our personal and impersonal worldly affairs, and therefore we cannot be contemplating the Hereafter for all the twenty-four hours of the day. According to what has been said by the Prophet (Sallallaho alaihe wasallam), complete absorption in the Hereafter is rare, and it should not be expected by all. It is only for the angels to remain in the same state for ever.
In case of men, the state of their mind changes with circumstances and environments. But we can see from this story how anxious the Sahabah were about the condition of their Imaan. Hanziah (Radhiyallaho anho) suspects Nifaq in himself when he feels that the condition of his mind at home is not the same as it is when he is with the Prophet (Sallallaho alaihe wasallam).