Monday 26 November 2012

Overpayment of Zakaat

Overpayment of Zakaat

Hadhrat Ubay bin Kaab (Radhiyallaho anho) says: "The Prophet (Sallallaho alaihe wasallam) once deputed me to collect Zakaat dues from a locality. I went to a person there, and asked about the details of his possessions. A baby camel one year old was due from him in Zakaat. When he heard this, he exclaimed, 'Of what use is a baby camel, one year old? You can neither milk it, nor ride it. Here is a fine grown-up she-camel. You had better take this instead.
I replied, 'My commission does not permit me to take more than what is actually due from you. I, therefore, cannot accept what you offer. The Prophet (Sallallaho alaihe wasallam) is visiting this locality, and tonight he will be camping at a place not very far from here.
It is better you should go and place your offer before him. If he does not object, I would gladly accept your offer, otherwise you shall have to give me exactly what is due from you.' Thereupon, he took the she-camel to the Prophet (Sallallaho alaihe wasallam) and besought him thus: '0, Prophet of Allah! Your deputy came to receive Zakaat from me. By Allah! before this time, I have never had the honour of paying anything to the Prophet (Sallallaho alaihe wasallam) or his deputy. I therefore placed everything that I possessed before him.
He decided that a baby camel one year old was due from me. Now, 0, Prophet of Allah! This baby camel is of no use. It can neither yield milk nor carry a load. I, therefore, pressed him to accept a fine grown-up she-camel in-stead; which he refused to accept without your permission. I have now come to you with the she-camel.
The Prophet (Sallallaho alaihe wasallam) observed, No doubt only that much is due from you which he has worked out, but if you are willing to give more than that, of your own accord, it would be accepted.' I then presented the she-camel to the Prophet (Sallallaho alaihe wasallam), which he accordingly accepted and sought Allah's blessings for the donor."
Look, with what magnanimity of heart the Sahabah parted with their best things for the sake of Allah. On the other hand, we too claim to be the true followers of Islam, and ardent devotees of the Prophet (Sallallaho alaihe wasallam) but, leaving apart the bestowing of alms in general to the poor and the needy, we are most reluctant to pay the actual obligatory dues. Zakaat, as a pillar of Islam, is not even known to our upper classes.
Of the middle classes, only the religiously conscious strata keep up a form of paying Zakaat, in as much as even the expenditure incurred on their own relatives and acquaintances, and all other charitable donations squeezed out of them by the force of circumstances and face-savings are debited to this account.